The old Clark Mansion, sometimes known as the "House of Seven Oaks", was given to the Historical Society in 1955 by William Fostnaught, a local attorney and school teacher, to be used as a museum. The original builders were John O. and Tacey Viella (Baker) Clark in 1895 on property which at that time was a cow pasture at the extreme north end of Van Wert. The home, designed by Mrs. Clark, is now furnished with period furniture and artifacts which have been donated by area residents.
The bell and cornerstone in the front yard are from the old City Hall which was built in 1886 at the southwest corner of Washington & Central Avenues at a cost of $17,000. The building was demolished in the 1950s. The bell was in the tower and rang when there was a fire. By the sequence and number of times the bell was rung, volunteer firemen (and almost everyone in town) knew where the fire was!
There is no charge for visiting the Museum or any of its buildings
Phone 419 771-9851